ly files as a MIMEtype?

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: ly files as a MIMEtype?
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:11:48 +0200

Greetings,

sometimes I wonder what it would take to register .ly files as an
official "text/lilypond" MIMEtype (for instance at IANA, on
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl )

First of all, maybe this would make LilyPond integration easier for
Internet users (for instance, LilyPond could directly process
downloaded .ly files using a dedicated Firefox extension, or
whatever).

But the main reason why I'm asking that is because I've often noticed
that, when my pupils install LilyPond on their (Windows) computer and
create their first .ly file, they invariably mistake the "note" icon
for an *application* icon, although it's actually a *document* icon.

(if you don't know which icon I'm referring to, have a look at
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentation/pictures/ly.xpm
)

Therefore, I have taken the liberty to draw some icons (attached
here), based on the "note" icon.
- one follows the Apple human interface guidelines
- one follows the MS Vista guidelines (yeah, no comment)
- one follows the Tango guidelines (GNOME, XFCE and GTK)
- one follows the Oxygen guidelines (the official theme for KDE4)

I don't know what to do with these, maybe you guys will have an idea.
It would be just great if GNOME or KDE included a default lilypond
MIMEtype Icon for .ly files (the Windows/Apple ones could just be
provided with the binary program).

Thanks for your attention,
Valentin

(PS actually these icons have been sleeping on my computer for a few
months; thanks to John for having convinced me to post'em!)