Re: Docs - unfretted strings

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Docs - unfretted strings
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:52:57 +0200

2008/9/28 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

> OK, let's wait to hear from John and Valentin on this point.

Well, at first I was pleased with the fretted/unfretted distinction,
but you do have some good points.

As far as I can remember, when we created the unfretted section it was
mainly to address bowed strings issues, and possibly to add a couple
of words regarding harp stuff. Since then, we have improved harp
support quite a bit.

Perhaps we could have plucked vs bowed instead of fretted vs unfretted:

2.x plucked instruments
  2.x.a Fretted (guitar, banjo)
  2.x.b Unfretted (harp)

2.y Bowed instruments
  2.y.a Strings
  2.Y.b Musical saw (or whatever)

By the way, guitar/harp/piano/percussions are a same group in
orchestras, whereas strings are another group. Besides, harp notation
is (on a semantic/symbolic level) much closer to keyboards or guitar
stuff than to violins, and strictly speaking the harp is as much
(less) of an unfretted string instrument as the piano.

Cheers,
Valentin