Re: Fw: Vocal music

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Fw: Vocal music
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:41:10 +0200

2008/10/13 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

> That's because you've put all the different style stuff
> where it doesn't belong, in "Common notation".  "Common
> notation" should contain _only_ things which are used
> in _all_ the styles.  "Common" here means "belonging
> equally to all", not its other meaning of "appearing
> frequently, familar".  So anything that is style-specific
> should not be there, hence there should be no headings
> like "Opera" in "Common".  Take these out and put them
> back in a "Specific styles" section, as we agreed
> earlier, and I'll be happy.

Yes, but this 'specific styles' section (hehe, I can't wait to see
Graham's face when he'll read this title) will look *very much* like a
"References for vocal music" section, since it will mostly contain
@ref to external sections and not genuine doc material: e.g. in
"Spoken music" subsection I'll have to @ref to "Note heads", in "Song
books" I'll have to @ref to "Chord notation", etc.

Second problem: _the_ "References for vocal music" in "Common
notation" will actually not reference every external section there's
to see about vocal music: e.g. it will not include "Note heads" since
this will already explained in detail in "Specific styles".

Third problem: if I put all style-specific stuff in a separate
section, there's no longer enough material remaining to have both
"References for vocal music" and "References for lyrics", as I
suggested previously, which is why I merged these two in a "References
for vocal music and lyrics" subsection. *But* then, is it really
relevant to have a "Common notation" section at all? (since the @ref
for lyrics will mostly link inside NR2.1 anyway)

I was quite happy with the layout we agreed upon, but I could hardly
fill these subsections in "Common notation".

Suggestion: instead of "Opera" and such, that clearly do not belong in
a "Common notation section", we could name these subsections
"References for opera engraving", "References for song books", etc;
would this help?

Cheers,
Valentin