Re: Fw: Vocal music

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Fw: Vocal music
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:42:55 +0200

2008/10/2 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

> I have to agree with you that Common notation for vocals
> is too long, and would be better split into at least two
> sections.  Taking your idea a little further, what do you
> think about
>
> 2.1.1 Common notation for entering lyrics
>       References for lyrics
>       Lyrics explained
>       Working with lyrics and variables
> 2.1.2 Common notation for aligning lyrics
>       Aligning lyrics to a melody (all sections thereof)
>       Spacing out syllables
> 2.1.3 Setting simple songs
> etc as before
> ?

hehehe, very clever -- however far-fetched :-)

I wish we could have a "common notation" section that would deal with
the voice as an instrument (for instance, the parlato notehead example
is quite good; we could also add the
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=370 snippet, etc.)

This "common notation" section would also mention the use of lyrics,
and refer to lyric-specialized further sections:

2.1.1 Common notation for vocal music
  References for vocal music
     (noteheads, characters' names etc)
  References for lyrics
     (points to NR 2.1.2, 2.1.3, LM 2.4 etc)
  Vocal-specific staff notation
     (ancient clefs, incipits, whatever)

2.1.2 Entering lyrics
    (all sections thereof)

2.1.3 Aligning lyrics to a melody
    (all sections thereof)

2.1.4 Stanzas
    (all sections thereof)

2.1.5 Specific styles of vocal music
    Opera
    Songs
    Chants
    Ancient
    (gregorian, whatever; may point back to 2.1.1 Vocal-specific staff notation)
    (etc)

I am confident that we will eventually find a good solution :-)

Cheers,
Valentin