Re: [frogs] Discourse on the Consumption of Dog Food

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: [frogs] Discourse on the Consumption of Dog Food
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 17:40:44 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes
Sure, and what about languages with a variety of accents, like English?
Which one do you base the spelling on?

The Queen's, of course.  ;)

You mean English, as spoken by a German, of Saxon descent imported to kick the Anglish off the throne, and spoken with a French accent? :-)

But in a well-designed language, the accents would at least be
consistent -- i.e. if you pronounced "about" as "aboot" (which,
despite the best efforts of the cartoon South Park", I've never
heard any Canadians say), you should also pronounce "though" as
"thoogh", "honour" as "honoor", etc.

The ridiculousness of these examples -- as well as any
uncertainties about exactly what sounds I mean by those
combinations of letters -- is further evidence of the difficulties
of English.

If you DESIGN a language, then maybe (although I've already alluded to the problems of Esperanto).

English - well we can't even decide on what English IS. Talking about just the home country (the British Isles) I like to say "The Saxons speak English, the Anglish speak Scots, and the Scots speak Gaelic".

Now add Strine, that monstrosity the Americans like to call English (which is actually more "original" than modern English!), and all the other variants :-) Which one is the "real English"? Oh - and if you want pedigree it most certainly isn't the Queens English which, as a dialect, is only about 150 years old.

To throw the cat amongst the pigeons, I think we should declare "Modern Latin" as the official language of the EU. After all, it is spoken by more people as a FIRST language than any other language group in the Union (and yes, I DID check on Wikipedia - Spain+Portugal+Italy outnumber all the other groupings). I can imagine the row as they try to define a standard spelling/grammar/pronounciation :-)

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden