Re: Date in the footer and Headers/Footers/Titles

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Date in the footer and Headers/Footers/Titles
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:06:30 -0400

Hi Chip,

first I want to suggest this: move the section '3.2 Titles and headers'
found in the NOTATION Reference to the LM. Why? Because the NR should
be about Notation, and headers/footers/titles are not notation.

Interesting... I'm curious to see what others' opinions are.
Although it doesn't bother me where they are, I definitely agree that these elements are not "notation".

As a nooby if I'm looking for info on adding a date to the footer I start by
searching for Footer in the index of the LM, but it's not there.

That should be the first thing to get fixed!  =)
Graham/Carl: who/what decides which doc elements get an index entry?

3.2.2 Custom Titles. And now I'm thinking 'why am I reading about titles
when I should be reading about the footer?'

If "3.2 Titles and Headers" was changed to (e.g.) "3.2 Titles/Headers/ Footers", would that have cleared up your confusion?

I see the bit about evenFooterMarkup and oddFooterMarkup
and no example of what to do with them, just a very brief description.

As you later point out, this is where your example code (to include the date) could/should go.

Headers [...] Titles [and] Footers [...] are separate entities. And should be treated as such.

That is definitely a point of preference: I, for one, am quite happy thinking about all of these as "page- (or higher) level text elements which are not musical notation", and as such lumping them together. One of the main concerns in documentation -- especially on-line (HTML) docs -- is the number of clicks required to get to the desired information. Breaking these items into separate places will almost certainly increase the number of clicks required by many users.

With all that said here is the code for the footer that solves the problem

Excellent; hopefully that will now be added to the docs at the correct place.

I have put in my first 2 cents worth

Welcome to the "I'm doing something to improve Lilypond documentation" club! =)

Best regards,
Kieren.