Re: Date in the footer and Headers/Footers/Titles

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Date in the footer and Headers/Footers/Titles
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:49:01 +0800

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 02:16:45PM +0100, Ian Hulin wrote:
> 3.2.1 Titles Headings and Front-Matter
>
> 3.2.2 Custom Titles and Section Headings
>
> 3.2.3  Headers and Footers

I'm not wild about splitting this up, but I'll consider it.

> Current definition of \header (in NR 3.1.3 File Structure)
> A \header block. This sets the global header block. This is the block
> containing the definitions for book-wide settings, like composer, title,
> etc.
>
> I propose renaming this to \front-matter, since most of the stuff
> mentioned in this quote from the NR describes things that appear at the
> start of a typical score, and the term header implies something this
> block doesn't actually do (header as in headers and footers).

This wouldn't address the current issue, where one user was
confused about \whatever applying to the tagline.  Then again,
this isn't a common confusion, so perhaps we can ignore it.

> I suppose another possibility for the name might be \headings, if people
> want something similar to existing syntax.

Ick.  No, if we're going to change it, we should make it a big
change.

> The current \header behaves differently depending on whether it's at top
> level or in a \score, when it only processes the title and opus
> properties.  Maybe it would be a good idea to give it a separate name,
> (\score-headings, \section-headings ?) and add some validation to make
> sure it is used inside a \score block?

Hmm.  IIRC there's some good internal reasons why \header acts in
the context-sensitive way it does, but I can't think of what those
reasons were.

... that said, I get the vague sense that we should clarify
\book vs. \bookpart vs. \score, and that clarifying the behavior
of \header (in code, in addition to docs) would fit nicely into
such a project.  You know, investigating this would be an awesome
Frog project... :)