Re: Regression test information

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Regression test information
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 07:09:19 -0600

On 7/17/09 12:57 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:11:50AM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> I'd like permission to move the information on regression testing from make
>> test-baseline and make check from the AU to the CG  (There's a placeholder
>> there already; section 7).
>>
>> Any concerns about doing this?
>
> My concern is that the entire "compiling" is slated to move to the
> CG, so it would make sense to do this at once.  That said, we
> might split up the user- and packager-oriented parts of compiling
> from the developer-oriented parts.

I think that the regression testing section doesn't make sense as part of
compiling.  I have never considered running the regression tests to see if
compiling has succeeded.  Once documentation is built, I'm satisfied that
LilyPond is installed properly.

Regression tests are used for testing changes to LilyPond, so separating
this section out makes sense to me.

OK, so now I have a new proposal:

1)  Move AU 1.2.2, 1.2.3, 1.2.4 to CG 2.1
2)  Move AU 1.2.5 to CG 7
3)  Drop AU 1.1 -- it's on the Install page
4)  Move 1.2.6 to CG 2.1
5)  For now, have AU 1 just add a reference to CG.  (But CG 3.3.6 makes no
mention of a macro to reference to CG.  Do we have one?  If we don't, it
will just be ordinary text.)

Does this proposal pass muster?

Carl