Re: changing "StreamEvent" to "stream-event"

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: changing "StreamEvent" to "stream-event"
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:35:08 -0700

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Mark Polesky<address@hidden> wrote:

> I noticed this thread from two years ago:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-07/msg00020.html
>
> Apparently, StreamEvent should be renamed stream-event. I'm happy to do
> that, but is it really as simple as changing these 2 lines (lines 12-13)
> in scm/define-event-classes.scm? Or is there a C++ file somewhere that
> also needs to be changed (or something else that I wouldn't know about)?
>
> - Mark
>
> 11 (define event-classes
> 12   '((() . (StreamEvent))
> 13     (StreamEvent .
> 14                  (RemoveContext ChangeParent Override Revert UnsetProperty
> 15                                 SetProperty music-event OldMusicEvent
> CreateContext Prepare
> 16                                 OneTimeStep Finish))

Yes, this is the only place that needs changing.

But...

"event" is also used in various places, like in define-music-types.scm:

  (types . (general-music event apply-output-event))

I'm pretty sure these types correspond to the "Music", "Event", and
"ApplyOutputEvent" music expressions.  Also, the corresponding classes
are "music-event", "StreamEvent", "apply-output-event".

And there is a comment is stream_event.cc:

  /* TODO: Rename Stream_event -> Event */

There are a lot of things to clean up in the Internals Reference; the
question is where to start?

For example, the IR should separate "events" from "music expressions",
but right now everything is bundled together.  All of those other
C++-only events (RemoveContext, ChangeParent, etc.) should be
documented too.  And should they be renamed along with StreamEvent?

***

Sorry for the stream of thought.  This has been bugging me lately too.  :-)

-Patrick