Re: proposal for doc+web sources

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: proposal for doc+web sources
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 11:12:37 +0200

Le samedi 18 juillet 2009 à 03:31 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> Good point.  I had a vague notion that having them there might
> make it easier to produce the top-level *.txt files, but I
> honestly would rather have them moved.  If you're happy with that,
> then by all means let's move them.

Yes, the distinction will be made in the Manuals page instead of the
directory structure, which is both better for users and not more
complicated for developers and contributors.

> compile.itexi would go in devel.  (note the itexi)
> I guess we'd need an "install.texi" somewhere, just to produce the
> INSTALL.txt document.  Since compile.itexi is mainly intended as
> part of the CG, it wouldn't have a @top node.

Exactly.

> I propose that we make Changes a standalone document:
>   Documentation/changes.tely
> we don't need a subdir for this, since it should only just be the
> single file.

Agreed.

> Yes, with the proviso that "snippet" might require extra trickery.
> (i.e. Documentation/snippet/lsr, Documentation/snippet/new/, etc)

I'd like to move

- input/lsr to Documentation/snippets (so that this directory actually
contains some real material)
- input/new to Documentation/snippets/new
- input/texidocs to Documentation/snippets/texidocs

> Oh wait: authors doesn't get its own manual.  That will move into
> web.tely, as part of community.itexi.

That's noted.

> And we /might/ want to rename "devel" to "contributors", just to
> keep it close to the CG name.  The original devel/ dir was just to
> oppose user/.

OK.

> Up to you.  I mean, the simplification would also make it *easier*
> to switch, so maybe you want to do it sooner, just for fun. :)

I don't think it would be so easier. It's so much work to switch to
another build system for LilyPond and I already have other
time-consuming hobbies, e.g. making our Python scripts that manipulate
Texinfo more reliable by using a Texinfo parser.

> > Unless there are objections, I'll start applying this plan by moving the
> > three manuals and snippets very soon.
>
> I think we have more than three manuals, but other than that, agreed.

I meant LM NR and AU. As there might be some places to decide for
snippets, I'm starting right now with three main manuals and the CG,
including splitting out the essay.

John