Re: Directory structure for docs and web site

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Directory structure for docs and web site
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:29:37 +0200

Le mardi 21 juillet 2009 à 23:57 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> I would personally remove the web/, and have things like
>   lilypond.org/introduction.html
>   lilypond.org/doc/v2.x/
>   lilypond.org/download/
>   lilypond.org/tiny_examples.html
> along with whatever redirects are desirable.

I agree with this.

> I'm a bit confused by the below discussion;

So am I :-)

>  it makes no mention of
> the "lilypond-general texinfo in master, lilypond-general imported
> into web repo, web built separately" proposal.  Does this fall
> under #1 or #2, or would you rather discuss it as a #3?

This falls under #2. In my mind lilypond-general will be almost all of
the web site; using Texinfo for it makes integrating it into main
sources is the most reasonable solution.

> > 1) Keep the full web site away from Lily main source tree, i.e. on web
> > branch.
>
> Are you using "full web site" as in "the complete web site,
> including google analytics numbers", or "full web site" as in
> "anything to do with the web site"?

The (future) full web site refers to lilypond-general plus whatever will
remain on web branch.

> I still think the texinfo files should be in master, but perhaps
> not the generated images, and not some really web-specific stuff
> like the htaccess.

If lilypond-general (which includes examples) contains LilyPond music
examples, generated images can (and probably should IMHO) be lilypond
files or @lilypond blocks that are built along with the docs.

> I'm honestly not certain if this fits into #1 or not.

It doesn't.

> I can't imagine that adding a few "Web: beautify contemporary
> rhythms example" or "Web: announce new version" (especially if
> that was included in a "bump VERSION" update!) would complicate
> matters more.

Not significantly, you're right.

> The precise building of what's on lilypond.org should be fairly
> clear: it is built from the web repo, with the exception of
> /doc/2.x/, which is built from the relevant branch of main.  This
> wouldn't change at all from the current web-building process.

Except that HTML pages from lilypond-general are moved from /doc/2.x
to /. As the Texinfo docs structure will be greatly simplified, this is
an acceptable amount of hacking :-)

Now it's more clear which direction we follow, I can comfortably get
back to hacking makefiles and moving files.

Best,
John