Re: Directory structure for docs and web site

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Directory structure for docs and web site
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:26:50 -0700

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 08:50:38PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le lundi 27 juillet 2009 à 01:17 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > I thought we were keeping the uploaded-website on a separate
> > branch?
>
> I'm open to other proposals, but at this point I expect clearly
> defined proposals which aim at a complete solution.

Will do so; working patches right now.

> > > Why not?
> > It would scare newbies.  The examples are complicated, involve
> > tweaks, etc.  The newbie-scaring goes in Text input, not Examples.
>
> And what about curious people that want to easily look at the sources?

There are *plenty* of lilypond sources available.  I really think
that adding complexity to the Introduction pages would not be
warranted.

> > Again, just like the 10-20 pieces of lilypond output in the
> > *current/old* web branch.
>
> There is no LilyPond binary that runs on lilypond.org, so that's fair;
> most of the future web site will be generated on a machine that has to
> run lily binary anyway, so let's benefit from this.  Don't tell me we're
> going to add generated PNGs of all examples in input/ and input/mutopia
> that are on current Examples page.

All the files in input/ and input/mutopia/ (which isn't AFAIK
available anyway!)  are getting deleted.  Introduction->Examples
is their replacement.

Yes, there are no complete pieces there, but we already have
*tons* of lilypond input examples available.

> > - could the css be moved to a separate dir?
>
> Unless we have more than 8 CSS files, I think it's not necessary. BTW
> what about junking texinfo.css?

AFAIK that file isn't used at all, so sure!  As for <>8 CSS files,
I still think it would be neater in a separate dir, but I bow to
you decision here.  :)

> > - could the png/eps files be moved to the relevant dirs (notation/
> >   and learning/ -- although the latter will be essay/ as soon as
> >   that exists) ?
>
> This won't make the build any simpler, and I see no benefit for the
> editors. As we're going to add some more pictures from web-gop, there
> will be enough pictures for moving them to a Documentation/pictures/,
> copying/converting them into Documentation/out-www/, so they end up in
> Documentation/ in the docball and thus will work without extra hacking
> in postprocess_html.py.

Ok, fair enough.