Re: pushing to git question

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: pushing to git question
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:40:19 -0700

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 07:16:24PM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:
> Since I'm relatively new to the whole pushing to git thing, I've
> been intentionally stepping cautiously, running every little patch
> by you guys, so as not to break anything. I've attached a totally
> trivial patch, and I'm wondering if you guys would rather I just
> apply small things like this without asking.
>
> One wrinkle is that compiling and testing things with "make doc"
> is (at the moment) out of the question on the computer that I
> currently have access to. Which means that I can't definitively
> prove that my patches don't break anything, even though in some
> cases (like fixing typos) there shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Hopefully this will change soon, but for the moment I'm erring on
> the side of caution.
>
> Let me know if you guys would rather have me skip the proofreading
> step for trivial patches, but until I hear otherwise, I'll
> continue to run them through -devel.

I think you're fine applying patches like this directly.

The most common mistake for these types of patches that will break
"make doc" is accidentally using mismatched braces, i.e.
@code{ly:grob-set-property!) instead of @code{ly:grob-set-property!}.
Whitespace issues won't break the compile, and they'll typically be
corrected eventually.

But your patch looks fine.

-Patrick