Re: Feature request: 'line' articulation

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Feature request: 'line' articulation
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:55:00 +0200

2009/7/23 Michael Käppler <address@hidden>:
> Thanks for adding this to the snippets. Maybe I'll post a better explanation
> later. Anyway, wouldn't it be better to add this to the font?

For a single vertical line, I suspect this would be overkill – Unless
we officialy include it alongside the other articulation marks.
Werner, thoughts?
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=620

> For example, if I have understood this correctly, your snippet can't scale
> the font-size according to global-staff-size at this moment.

Yes it can.

> Also it would
> be nice if LilyPond could determine the right position (above or under the
> staff) automatically, like it does with other articulation scripts.

It does now (I've updated the snippet to demonstrate this).

> Another point is the horizontal position: If the line is placed above the
> stem, it seems better to me to have both in one horizontal position (not
> centered above the NoteHead), though I can't recognize any clear conventions
> for it up to now.

I think this would be a terrible idea. All articulation marks are
centered with the note head. As a musician, I'd be terribly confused
if I were to suddently encounter an articulation mark that's centered
with the stem.

If anyone can find a proper (documented) name for this "vertical line"
articulation, I think we could consider adding it to the default
LilyPond distribution.

2009/7/23 Mark Polesky <address@hidden>:
> an hour and a half from request to snippet. Nice work. I also notice
> that you're silently adding old ideas from the mailing list into the
> LSR. I even noticed one of my own...
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=553

Actually, I'm not sure whether I added this particular one or Neil did :-)

Regards,
Valentin