Re: ppppp but no fffff

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: ppppp but no fffff
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 02:38:48 -0700

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:31:35AM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:

> Although, it just struck me, what does MIDI do when it gets a
> dynamic it doesn't recognize? Maybe it's written somewhere; I
> haven't checked.

MIDI doesn't get "dynamics" in terms of mffpf.  Rather, note
events have a include "velocity" number from 0-127.
Interestingly, both noteOn and noteOff events have this velocity
figure, although very few programs/hardware do anything with the
velocity of a noteOff message.
(and actually, many programs just use noteOn with a velocity of 0
instead of an actual noteOff message!)