Re: More documentation restructure issues

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: More documentation restructure issues
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 22:23:03 +0200

Le lundi 27 juillet 2009 à 13:04 -0700, Patrick McCarty a écrit :
> I just modified Documentation/notation/spacing.itely, and when I ran
> "make doc", the changes did not appear in my local offline-root/
> documentation.
>
> I needed to touch Documentation/notation.tely for the changes to be
> compiled.  But this is an inconvenience.
>
> Can the old behavior be restored, so that when one of the *.itely
> files is modified, "make doc" will notice?

It can, but I make no warranty on when it will happen exactly.  There
are three degrees of makefiles function:

1. clean builds complete without errors;
2. output is built correctly;
3. in case of non-clean builds, the parts of the output that need to be
rebuilt are effectively rebuilt, and nothing else.

2. is currently not satisfied for the docs, and I want to factorize
texinfo and doc-i18n-root templates, so you clearly see the short-term
situation :-P

As for 3., if my upcoming Texinfo parser is fast enough, it will
possibly be used to determine almost all documentation prerequisites
(dependencies in more common language), which will make all docs editing
more comfortable.  It it's too slow, we'll probably have to stick with
partial prerequisites.

Best,
John