Re: small web update with texi2html patch

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: small web update with texi2html patch
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 03:02:27 -0700

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:47:29AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Some of our toc menus on the new web page, esp. the second level
> in Manuals are much too wide, see
>
>     http://lilypond.org/~graham/Manuals.html#Manuals
>     http://lilypond.org/~janneke/lilypond.org/Manuals

Interesting idea.  They still flow onto a second layer, but it's
certainly a step in the right direction.
(yes, I still claim that 800 pixels wide should be big enough for
everybody.  :)

> I made a patch for texi2html (attached) so that it
> alternatively can use the (shorter) optional text part of a menu

Why not make it a patch for web-texi2html.init ?  That's how we do
all the other overriding stuff for texi2html.

Technical issues aside, I like the shorter names -- so why don't
we use them as the node names?  Everything other than "Old
manuals" can be condensed down to one word (although I'd use
"Notation" instead of "Reference").  It would also match the pdf
filenames that John is creating.

This could also simpify things on the mailists.  I'm not going to
bother writing Notation Reference, but I'm willing to go as far as
typing Notation x.y.z.  This way, newbies wouldn't need to ask
what the NR was, since they see "Notation" on the main doc page
(Manuals), and we'd type "Notation x.y.z".

(my only remaining concern is "application", which is even worse
as a single-word name than "application usage" is.  Fortunately,
I'm almost finished hacking the beginning of the LM... excuse me,
Learning... so I'll start coming up with a draft for that book
now.  This might suggest a better name)