Re: working on the web front page

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: working on the web front page
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 23:24:06 -0700

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:09:17PM -0700, Patrick McCarty wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 04:38:25PM -0700, Graham Percival wrote:
> > Remember that we can set background images in CSS.  I recommend
> > keeping all such images in css/, and modifying the css file rather
> > than the raw texinfo.
>
> Typically websites inline the branded images so that users with
> stylesheets turned off or users with a non-graphical browser will know
> that the image is there.

You have a point there.  Also, whenever we produce info and pdf,
we'd want the logo in there.  That part of the patch has been
reverted.

I guess my basic complaint is that the logo doesn't do anything
for me -- a lily pad has nothing to do with notation.  I'd be
happier if it had something musical in it.

> > I've just pushed a change to move the "What is lilypond" box to
> > the right.  It also has an ugly black background to remind
> > everybody that we can do things like that, although it might not
> > terrible if it were light gray rather than black.
>
> I don't see a black background.  I see a cropped treble clef though.

Err, that's what I meant.  An ugly cropped black background treble
clef.

> Also, I must have missed the reason why you moved the box.  I think it
> was much more noticeable in its previous location.

Really?  I thought it merged with the news too easily.  I just
tried shading the background (like the @warning) and now I think
it's better.

> Are are any volunteers to continue work on the CSS?

I truly hope so, since neither of us are web developers.

Furthering my challenge to produce alternate CSS: we now have a
default.css and an alt1.css.  The alt1.css is what I produced
(moving more stuff to the right).  Check out the two styles, send
in your own, etc.