Re: parser variables persist beyond { } scope

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: parser variables persist beyond { } scope
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 16:43:53 -0600

On 8/9/09 4:23 PM, "John Mandereau" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sorry for my initial reply to this, it was not enough to the point, I'm
> trying again :-)
>
> Le jeudi 06 août 2009 à 09:55 -0700, Mark Polesky a écrit :
>> Well, now I think we're pretty much back at Han-Wen's original
>> suggestion, which was to have two commands, one for temporary
>> afterGraceFraction overrides, like
>>
>>   \afterGrace <music> <music>
>
> Is there consensus on the name of the second function before we add it
> to Git?  I thought on \afterGraceCustomSpacing, but it's a bit too long.

>> { \afterGrace d1 { c16[ d] } }
>> { \afterGrace d1 { c16[ d] } #'(1 . 2) }
>
> I don't know if it's possible, but this is surely not desirable: braces
> in LilyPond mean either sequential music or block boundaries (\book,
> \score...), overloading them further may add confusion.  Moreover, the
> planned improvements syntax intend to get rid of any prefix commands, so
> these outer braces which would protect fragile commands in TeX are not
> in the right direction.

Hmmm...  The planned syntax improvements are to get rid of prefix commands,
but music functions are always prefix operators.  So I guess we'll be
distinguishing between "commands" (or some other name -- operators?) and
music functions.

We will need to be careful to explain the differences for users (and I think
it will help clarify things for the users as we do so.

Thanks,

Carl