Re: Dead lyrics context still occupies vertical space

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Dead lyrics context still occupies vertical space
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:57:08 +1000

On Tue, 2009-08-11 at 02:19 +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 11. August 2009 02:04:28 schrieb Joe Neeman:
> > With the uninitialized variables fix, the remaining issues might just be
> > due to bad default settings (see below). I would appreciate help in
> > finding good settings because I don't deal with choral or orchestral
> > scores very often.
>
> Okay, I'll see whether I can find some time to tweak all the variables (I'm
> currently preparing some Urtext editions of Eybler works, then I need to fix
> this texi2html issue with translated file names, etc). Do you have a list of
> all variables that affect the vertical layout now? That would be quite
> helpful
> for the doc writers, too.

I do intend to write some docs (once I've finished dealing with my TODO
list), but in the absence of docs, here's a list of spacing variables.
They all take alists with the same entries (space, minimum-distance,
padding and stretchability, which are explained in
scm/define-grob-properties.scm under next-staff-spacing).

paper block variables:
top-system-spacing
top-title-spacing
between-system-spacing
bottom-system-spacing
after-title-spacing
before-title-spacing
between-title-spacing

Grob properties:
VerticalAxisGroup in the staff context,
'next-staff-spacing
defaults to a callback that gets its return value from a StaffGrouper
grob in a higher context (see below). If there is no StaffGrouper grob
then 'next-staff-spacing falls back on
'default-next-staff-spacing

the StaffGrouper grob lives, by default, in PianoStaff, GrandStaff and
ChoirStaff. Its properties are
'between-staff-spacing
'after-last-staff-spacing

Properties for unspaced lines:
you mark a line as unspaced by setting VerticalAxisGroup
#'staff-affinity. Unspaced lines don't participate in the initial
spacing problem; we make sure to reserve a minimum amount of space for
them, and they are distributed after the position of the staves has
already been determined

'inter-staff-spacing (controls the spacing to the staff for which the
unspaced line has affinity. For example, the spacing from a lyrics line
to the staff above it)

'inter-loose-line-spacing (controls the spacing to the nearest unspaced
line in the direction of this line's staff-affinity. For example,
changing this property on the second line of lyrics will affect its
spacing to the first line of lyrics; see
input/regression/page-spacing-loose-lines-after.ly).

There is currently no way to specify the space from a line with
staff-affinity UP and the staff below it (it's on my TODO).

> > > - -) The staves are really crammed together.
> >
> > This is controlled by the between-system-spacing \paper-block variable
> > (try increasing 'space).
>
> That is set to a low variable so that scores with ragged-bottom=#f can have a
> small staff distance. It seems that the vertical layout will now always use
> the
> minimal distance between staves unless stretching is enabled, right?

When a page is ragged, the distance between staves is the larger of
- 'space
- 'minimum-distance
- 'padding + (the smallest amount to prevent overlap)

> > > - -) The cue text (bar 35) seems to be differently aligned in 2.13.x than
> > > in 2.12.1. That has probably nothing to do with the vertical layout
> > > engine, but still something that is noticable.
> >
> > Is it a \mark? If so, its alignment is measured with respect to the bar
> > line, not the note (and so the tighter horizontal spacing makes it look
> > further to the right when compared with the note). If it's a TextScript,
> > I have no idea what's causing the difference.
>
> It's an InstrumentSwitch object, which is the grob created when you \set
> Voice.instrumentCueName = "Solo"

Then I don't know, because InstrumentSwitch should be aligned with the
note. If you can isolate a minimal example, I'd say that this is a bug.

Cheers,
Joe