Re: update from the git battlefield

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: update from the git battlefield
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:51:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Mark Polesky wrote Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:25 AM
> >
> > I'm git-weary but still alive. Johannes spent *hours* debugging
> > my problem, and eventually traced it to an undiscovered bug
> > in gitk that only affects Microsoft Windows...
>
> Nice to have you operational again.  Thanks Johannes!
>
> Can you say what the bug is?  I use gitk all the time in Windows Vista
> and previously in Windows XP without any problems.  Maybe I don't use
> the part of its functionality which is in error, or maybe my version is
> older (it doesn't want to tell me what version it is, but it came with
> git 1.5.4.2.1161.g1a6f0).  But I'd sure like to avoid the bug :)

The problem is the limitation of the command line on Windows.  Mark has a
shallow clone, and it was kept shallow all the time, basically
accumulating commits that are not really parent-less, but in this
repository, they are.

So gitk was calling git with a way-too-long command line, and it just
died, taking gitk with it.

Ciao,
Dscho