Re: update from the git battlefield

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: update from the git battlefield
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:49:51 +0100

Johannes Schindelin wrote Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:51 PM

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Trevor Daniels wrote:

Mark Polesky wrote Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:25 AM

> I'm git-weary but still alive. Johannes spent *hours* debugging
> my problem, and eventually traced it to an undiscovered bug
> in gitk that only affects Microsoft Windows...

Nice to have you operational again.  Thanks Johannes!

Can you say what the bug is? I use gitk all the time in Windows Vista and previously in Windows XP without any problems. Maybe I don't use the part of its functionality which is in error, or maybe my version is older (it doesn't want to tell me what version it is, but it came with
git 1.5.4.2.1161.g1a6f0).  But I'd sure like to avoid the bug :)

The problem is the limitation of the command line on Windows. Mark has a
shallow clone, and it was kept shallow all the time, basically
accumulating commits that are not really parent-less, but in this
repository, they are.

So gitk was calling git with a way-too-long command line, and it just
died, taking gitk with it.

That explains why I don't see the problem -
I have a full repo.

Does that mean shallow clones are inadvisable
on Windows?

Trevor