Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: PATCH: Improved tablature support
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:32:05 -0600

On 8/12/09 9:24 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen Friday, August 07, 2009 2:49 PM
>>
>> The generic approach has now been pushed to git
>>
>> 247f0b6d46fd8f3253a99f95a70ce14345daa5f9
>>
>> There's a generic styledNoteHeads music function that applies a
>> note style
>> to music whether or not it's in a chord construct.
>
> Carl, I am part-way through documenting this, and
> in developing an example I realised this music
> function like all music functions is a prefix
> operator.  Applied to a sequence of notes like
>
> \xNote { e f }
>
> it's fine, but
>
> c d\xNote e f
>
> causes the following e to take a crossed head, not
> the preceding d.  Same in chords - in
>
> < g \xNote c f >
>
> it's the c note head that is crossed.

Yes, that is true.  xNote is a music function, not an operator.

> Furthermore,
> in chords it's actually an error to enclose the c
> in braces.

Yes, it is.  But the function still works properly without the braces.

> I don't have a suggestion to make, but I do think
> this might be confusing, especially as \harmonic
> in chords is postfix.  It is, of course, identical
> in action to the \tweak command, which is also a
> prefix operator.  What do you think?  I'd welcome
> other comments too before I proceed with the
> documentation.

I agree that it might be confusing.  I'd be fine to have a postfix operator
that would work, as well as a music function that takes a sequence of notes.

But I don't know how to make that happen.  That would require changes to the
parser, and I've never been successful with trying to make changes to the
parser.

If there's somebody who could help talk me through the process, I'd be
willing to learn.

Otherwise, I think we're stuck with a music function, not a postfix
operator, for right now.

And if we're ever going to move it to a postfix operator (which is one of
the goals of the GLISS project), now is the time, before we get a strong
codebase of music function applications.

Thanks,

Carl