Re: integration of general/web in main

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: integration of general/web in main
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:43:39 +0200

Op vrijdag 14-08-2009 om 23:51 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Graham
Percival:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 04:01:18PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> I would be tempted to generate the website in English first, and
> *then* work on the translation stuff.

That makes sense.  I only wanted a sort of proof of concept, but our
docs already show it can be done.

> I'm having trouble following the changes to the init script and
> the lilypond build system.  I know this, however: we have sensible
> html names in web-gop, so whatever changes there are between
> master/Documentation/web-texinfo.init and
> web-gop/texinfo/web-texinfo.init would cause these lack of
> sensible html names in master.

Indeed, so I reverted some of these.

> BTW, why don't we want to credit texinfo and texi2html?

 - It does not strike me as a very well thought-through thing to do?
 - It is a quite prominent statement (it's on the front page, and
   on all other pages?)
 - Why does it matter how we built the web site?
 - The web site happens to be our window to the world, it could/
   should speak for everything we are grateful for, why would it
   advertise only itself?
 - Why is thanking texi2html more important than, say, bjarne stroustrup
   for creating c++, eg.  Or w3c for standardising html.  Or netscape
   for stopping microsoft to proprietrize the web.  Or rms for starting
   GNU.  Or any libraries  of the free software stack we are using.  Or
   emacs.  Or debian.  Or composers, or $DEITY for creating music?
 - And also, please go read the texi2html script and see if you
   come out alive on the other end.  If I saw someone saying this
   was great, I might not even want to *see* their printed notation
   output?
 - I would hardly want to advise others to use it.  For me personally
   it is a maintenance nightmare that I would want to get rid of.
   25.000 lines of questionable perl.  I cannot imagine that the
   functionality we need could not be done in 2000 lines of
   clean, maintainable python -- and we would hardly mention such
   a possibly better solution on our site: made by
   scripts/auxilar/2html.py ?

>   And what
> happened to the footer?  The separator line only goes halfway...
> oh, I see it's commented out.  Any reason why we don't want a

That might be a mistake, I wanted to make the language
selection thingy work.

Jan.

AvatarĀ®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org