Re: new website integrated, remaining problems

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: new website integrated, remaining problems
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:04:13 +0200

Le lundi 17 août 2009 à 21:31 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> 1.  I have jpg files in Documentation/pictures/out-www/, but they
> don't get copied to out-www/offline-root/Documentation/pictures/.
> All the pngs are copied, though.

Fixed (but untested).

> 2.  We currently have filenames in the form index_XY.html.  I have
> no clue how this happened, since we had beautiful HTML names in
> the web-gop.  Evidently something happened (or didn't happen) when
> general.texi was added to the main lilypond build system.
>
> It's particularly mysterious since the *other* manuals have nice
> sensible HTML names.

Nice sensible HTML names should come from Texi2html init file.  The TODO
of the initial commit of web-gop integration in master is quite
explicit:

* HTML output: file names should be tweaked, which requires converting
  Jan's patch to texi2html script into a function in
  web-texi2html.init;

I'm sorry, I don't have time to hack texi2html.

> 4.  Anybody want to take a stab at integrating the two init files?
> Theoretically, they could live in the same file, just called with
> different options.

Is this worth the effort? ;-)

> Or even better, we could submit patches upstream and get neat
> things like the expanding-TOC integrated into texinfo 1.84 (or
> whatever's next).  Some functionality would almost certainly be
> too lilypond-specific to be integrated upstream, but we can
> probably offload some stuff.
>
> ... nah, I didn't think anybody would want to do the last one.  :)

You're right to mention this, but I'm not keen on getting involved into
such a standardization effort (which would include proper
internationalization support and would allow us to junk all our
workaround Python scripts including extract_texi_filenames.py) with
makeinfo implementation in Perl (current texi2html), which Jan already
explained why.

May I add

5.  Add script to generate news-front.itexi, old-news.itexi and RSS feed
from news.itexi.  I finally figured out how to convert UTF-8 text to
escaped XML (with named entities if possible), so I'm ready to move
make-news.py script from web branch and update it.

?

Best,
John