Re: new website integrated, remaining problems

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: new website integrated, remaining problems
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:08:16 +0100

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 01:04:13PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le lundi 17 août 2009 à 21:31 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > 1.  I have jpg files in Documentation/pictures/out-www/, but they
> > don't get copied to out-www/offline-root/Documentation/pictures/.
> > All the pngs are copied, though.
>
> Fixed (but untested).

Thanks, it worked.

> > 2.  We currently have filenames in the form index_XY.html.  I have
> > no clue how this happened, since we had beautiful HTML names in
> > the web-gop.  Evidently something happened (or didn't happen) when
> > general.texi was added to the main lilypond build system.
>
> Nice sensible HTML names should come from Texi2html init file.  The TODO
> of the initial commit of web-gop integration in master is quite
> explicit:
>
> * HTML output: file names should be tweaked, which requires converting
>   Jan's patch to texi2html script into a function in
>   web-texi2html.init;

Why?  You're talking about
web-gop/texinfo/texi2html-toc-shortest-of-name-or-text.patch ?
What on earth does this patch have to do with the html names of
translated files?  We just want the name to be the section name of
the English docs.  (with the appropriate *.??.html form)

> I'm sorry, I don't have time to hack texi2html.

I guess this falls to me, then.  :/

- Do you have any hints about working on this?  So far, I've been
  changing the init file, touching general.texi and
  */general.texi, then running make doc.  Since that takes about 20
  minutes, it's an extremely inefficient process.

- is web-init.pl invoked at all for the translations?  Or is
  python invoked for the filenames?

... oh wait, I see.  John, it looks like
Documentation/??/general.texi is processed using the normal
UTEXI2HTML_SPLIT rule, rather than WEB_TEXI2HTML_SPLIT.  Could you
modify the GNUmakefiles for the translations accordingly?  I'm not
certain how you'd want me to modify them.

Also, please make sure the _SPLIT rule comes before the init file.

If the html names in the translations are still broken, I'll take
another look at web-texi2html.init.  But first I'd like the
command-line to be correct.

> May I add
>
> 5.  Add script to generate news-front.itexi, old-news.itexi and RSS feed
> from news.itexi.  I finally figured out how to convert UTF-8 text to
> escaped XML (with named entities if possible), so I'm ready to move
> make-news.py script from web branch and update it.

If you're handling this, fine.  As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy
doing this manually.  For a while, at least.  I'm sick of having
broken docs/web, and want to get things moving again.