Re: What's the deal with the module system?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: What's the deal with the module system?
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:30:15 +0100

Le mercredi 25 novembre 2009 à 10:48 +0100, David Kastrup a écrit :
> Sounds like a dependency impacting developers rather severely.

Are you joking?  Is requiring an officially released version and not
supporting a version from CVS excessive?  We have no control on
Texi2HTML development, and in particular on its customization interface.

>   I don't
> have Python experience so can't get into it.

I wish Texi2HTML was written in Python (or any other high-level language
with few confusing implicit constructs), but it's written in Perl.

> Maybe it would make sense to place a copy of texi2html into the Lilypond
> source tree as long as Lilypond can't avoid meddling with internals of
> texi2html?  Otherwise arbitrary breakage with versions out of the
> control of Lilypond will remain to be expected.

As Texi2HTML weighs 500 KB (more than 22000 lines of code, which is
roughly as much as Makeinfo in C!!!), so it's been decided not to
include it.

Best,
John