[GLISS] Syntax of \parallelMusic

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: [GLISS] Syntax of \parallelMusic
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:15:03 +0100

Hi, all,

something to discuss for the GLISS... I don't know where the right place is for such a suggestion (or if it's there at all), so I send it to -devel - so that it ends up in the archives at least.

I propose using a different separator for \parallelMusic than "|", and allow to include bar checks in there.

\parallelMusic as is is very fine and handy, but sometimes you want to enter a whole phrase of two or three measures in a single go, and include the bar checks in there for readability and checking later on. It somewhat disturbs the workflow if you always have to look up where the voiceN ended up in the last measure, especially if you have larger intervals in the voices, or reentering the durations if one voice stays in 16, the next in 8 and the third in 2.

What about, e.g., ":"? It's fast to type, and AFAICS, it only is used for chord mode and figured bass. And I don't see a use for those two in \parallelMusic, since - well, you usually only have one chord at a time, right? Another idea: "||", to serve both as bar check and as delimiter. And there's definitely no use conflict against two bar checks at the same point in time, right?

Cheers,
Alexander