Re: [GLISS] Syntax of \parallelMusic

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: [GLISS] Syntax of \parallelMusic
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:34:08 +0100

Valentin Villenave wrote:
On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Nicolas Sceaux
<address@hidden> wrote:
Modify parallelMusic, so that when a VoiceSeparator (instead of BarCheck)
music element is found, the function switches to the next voice.  The
parallelMusic function seems well documented, this part should not be
difficult.

(To whomever starts working on parallelMusic: please, please, please
implement #451 already!)

Hi, Valentin,

to be honest - I have no clue what this bug report is about. Even assuming syntactically correct input. (By the way, after looking at parallelMusic, I'm not surprised at all that the newly posted snippet jun.ly works - however, if you wanted to use this, you'd have to write a new \relative {} construct for each and every bar.)

NR 1.5.2, section "Writing music in parallel", explicitly explains examples (exciting alliterations...) to handle relative input: "Relative mode may be used. Note that the \relative command is not used inside \parallelMusic itself. The notes are relative to the preceding note in the voice, not to the previous note in the input – in other words, relative notes for voiceA ignore the notes in voiceB." The latter is not a bug, it's a feature - when I want to use relative mode, I want to not count octaves between notes, and it's much more reasonable for a ongoing voice to stay in the same range than the intervals between voices.

What's the problem about adding the "relativity" _after_ the \parallelMusic command? You barely start a \parallelMusic instance for three or seven notes, and if you have fifty lines of music, who cares about another
  relA = \relative c \A
  relB = \relative c \B
after a \parallelMusic #'(A B) { }? It's there, it's documented, and it does exactly what I understand to be desired from the mail linked in the bug description.

I think it's no problem defining a \parallelRelativeMusic command which does nothing but call \parallelMusic and wrap each argument inside a \relative c { ... } afterwards.
But do we really want this to exist?

Okay. After all the rant, I just saw that the discussion dates back to March 2006. Maybe this is just fixed by documentation work?

Cheers,
Alexander