Lettered tablature patch

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Lettered tablature patch
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:26:34 -0000

I posted my first patch to Rietveld last night, but nothing seems to have been cc'd to the list. Not sure what I did wrong. It's at http://codereview.appspot.com/164063. Here's what it does.

This is the first patch of a series aiming eventually to enable Baroque lute tablature to be produced.

This first patch enables an option to indicate fret numbers with letters. The option is turned on by setting the context variable tablatureFormat to fret-letter-tablature-format. The letters are taken sequentially from the alphabet by default, but the first n of these may be overridden by setting the context variable fretLetters to a string of n length. For example, the third fret on a Baroque lute is indicated by "r" rather than "c", as "c" can easily be confused with "e". (Actually it was originally a Greek gamma, but "r" is usually used). So, for a Baroque lute, fretLetters would be set to #'("a" "b" "r").

Following a suggestion by Neil I have also made the whiteout behind all fret numbers optional. This is controlled by the 'whiteout property of TabNoteHead. The default is #t to preserve the current behaviour.

As this is my first attempt at modifying LilyPond code I'm sure there are many things that could be improved. Comments welcome.

Trevor

ps I've not included an addition to changes nor any documentation. I'll do that after this approach (the three new properties) has been approved.