Re: Issue 787 in lilypond: script stack order fails with 2 more notes

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Issue 787 in lilypond: script stack order fails with 2 more notes
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 14:36:07 -0700

On 12/2/09 2:19 PM, "Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2009/12/1 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
>
>> There is a question I have though,
>>
>> In your opinion, should
>>
>> c4^"1"^"2"\turn
>>
>> put the \turn at the top or the bottom of the stack?
>
> I think I prefer leaving it as it is, otherwise it breaks the rule
> that outside-staff-priority should only take precedence over
> script-priority when explicitly set.

But it seems to me that if outside-staff-priority is set for one grob, and
not for the other, then they should be compared by script-priority, since
there is *not* an outside-staff priority.

Then, the script-column will have the outside-staff-priority of the lowest
element, and the scripts will be ordered within the column by script
priority.

> The main problem I see is how confusing this is for users: for many
> scripts there's no default script-priority, which means the engraver
> has to furnish it (the same is true for fingerings and text scripts).
> Unless you're familiar with the source code, the stacking decisions
> can still seem arbitrary.

Does this mean we need to establish the outside-staff-priority for *all*
scripts?

Thanks,

Carl