Re: severe chord repetition problem

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: severe chord repetition problem
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 11:17:24 +0100

Wilbert Berendsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Op maandag 07 december 2009 schreef David:
>
>> The editor needs to be suitably clever to have this work properly in
>> \relative mode.  Ok, should be sufficient to remove octave indicators
>> from the first chord note, so this is probably not overly hard.
>
> Yes Frescobaldi does exactly this :-), and it copies short-hand
> articulations (like -. etc)

Actually, if q stands for "last _chord_" rather than "last note event",
then removing octave indicators is not sufficient since intervening
notes might have shifted the meaning.  but of course what the shortcut
in Frescobaldi refers to is not necessarily the same as q.

> Frescobaldi also can read relative music (it can transpose both
> relative and absolute music fragments, and also convert between
> relative and absolute input, auto-detecting the pitch language (by
> looking at the \include statements :-) )
>
> But let it be clear: if LilyPond changes, it is no problem for me to
> adapt Frescobaldi. If 2.14 ships with 'q' I'll do my best to have
> Frescobaldi support it.

If the meaning is defined well enough.

I mean, one could also go crazy and design, say, an artificial
articulation

-!

that stores the corresponding note event (including duration) in its
current state of assembly, and have

@

to reproduce this note event (including default duration which can be
overridden).

Again, one needs to establish how long this memoization is supposed to
hold.  But at least there would be a clear indication _what_ is
remembered, and one could with reasonable accuracy run the stuff through
a preprocessor that removes those marks.