Re: severe chord repetition problem

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: severe chord repetition problem
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 13:31:56 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
Actually, if q stands for "last _chord_" rather than "last note event",
then removing octave indicators is not sufficient since intervening
notes might have shifted the meaning.

Correct, that's the remaining drawback from the notes-chord-memorization; otherwise, this one perfectly fits /my/ usual needs.

But let it be clear: if LilyPond changes, it is no problem for me to
adapt Frescobaldi. If 2.14 ships with 'q' I'll do my best to have
Frescobaldi support it.

If the meaning is defined well enough.

I tend to use very simple tools - Emacs that is, in this case, without much sophisticated input shortcuts (like lyqi) - so I could not image where the problem might be to allow exchanging the memorization function, as long as the input is parseable. As most not-too-experienced programmers I tend to be overly self-confident, and say "I'm gonna understand this if it's written there". Even when I'm going to read files, especially since I agree with Nicolas in:
On the other hand... which ratio of users might ever change the behavior
of chord repetition memorization?  I don't really think that readability
might suffer, as long as the default is the most convenient.
For instance, users can also completely change the note names [...]
And such a change should catch my eye.

But when it comes to editor support, things change. (In particular: a feature I'm desperately missing with my primitive input methods is actually already featured by other editors, so there might not be the need for it that I assume.) Wilbert changed my opinions here - now, it looks like Nicolas' first idea of copying everything (well, perhaps everything but rests) may be what's actually needed more often. And it looks both easier maintainable and more robust than the notes-chord-memorization (see above.)

You (especially David i.e., but also Nicolas and Wilbert) certainly proved a clearer mind on such issues than me, and I agree with your concerns. Still, since I'm happy to see that notes-chord-memorization gives me a feature I've been subconsciously craving for, and I'd be sad if it's removed again: Is it okay to have an exchangable policy as long as it is very "low-level", i.e. there are no commands inviting to write them every two lines, but only something like the current syntax to replace the repetition-memorization-function? Is it reasonable to have only one of those methods officially supported and recommended, the other deprecated, yet available? (Assuming it's not as prominently advertized as \parallelMusic, of course.)

Cheers,
Alexander