Re: midi elapsed time markers

From: demery
Subject: Re: midi elapsed time markers
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:28:14 -0500 (EST)

> I was thinking of something as simple as using the number of beats
> per minute (\tempo ... ) and the the number of beats per bar to work out
> the elapsed time. Obviously this gets more complicated when taking
> tempo changes into account and any partial bars

and repeat sections, which can get rather elaborate.  Dont forget the use
of mixed time signatures for many renaissance works and other pieces with
complex rhythms (eg, 34/44 some bars are 3/4, others 4/4.

Should white mensural notation be supported sometimes in the future you
will also have to deal with proportional changes in tempo and both a lack
of barlines in general or a casual disregard for where they are placed in
original sources.

If this is to be done it should be done by consideration of the note
durations.  Perhaps the midi pass could be done before the printing pass
and output a side file.

--
Dana Emery