`make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: `make check' overworks one core on my Core2 quad
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:45:58 -0800 (PST)

Hi.

I don't know if there's an easy solution to this, but when I
run `make check', CPU1 runs at or near 100% for about 6
minutes while the other 3 cores sit idly by (for the most
part).  The same thing happens with `make test-baseline',
and perhaps `make test-redo' (I wasn't looking last time I
used it).  For a comparison, running `make' distributes the
work much more evenly among the cores (see the attached
images).

Is there a way to improve this?  I don't want to put too
much extra stress on CPU1 if I run `make check' alot.  Or am
I being paranoid?

Thanks
- Mark