Re: Behaviour of chord repetition in \relative mode

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Behaviour of chord repetition in \relative mode
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:58:56 +0100

Le 13 déc. 2009 à 11:05, David Kastrup a écrit :

>> If in an existing score I later replace a q with an explicit chord all
>> the following q, qq and qqq will need changing too.
>
> Yes.  But q, qq, and qqq are not intended for use all across the score,
> but rather in confined places.  I am not sure that this is all too bad
> for writing.  But I also am not sure that this is all too good for
> reading.

When used with parsimony, it can be helful, and not too bad for reading.
For instance, when there are loads of triplets like the following (I
faced that case a week ago, and was frustrated not being able to use q):

  \times 2/3 { <c e> <d f> qq }

Also, it would solve the chords only vs. all notes issue.  If it is
possible to refer to the two or three previous notes, then all chords and
simple notes (even rests: e.g. d4\rest) can be memorized.