Behaviour of chord repetition in \relative mode

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Behaviour of chord repetition in \relative mode
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:29:57 +0100

Hi,

I'm taking into account remarks from previous discussions regarding
chord repetition.  In particular, I've get rid off the user-settable
memorization function: only chords (with angle brackets) are memorized.
This should be the more useful to users, and at the same time easy
enough for LilyPond-aware editors to handle.

I have a question regarding \relative mode.

Considering the example illustrated by the attached image

PNG image

what should be entered for the second upper "c"?

Two options:

%% The second upper "c" octave is computed from the first "c"
%% i.e. the last explicite note.
\relative c' {
  <c e g>8 c' q c r4 q
}

%% The second upper "c" octave is computed from the previous
%% repeated chord ("q")
\relative c' {
  <c e g>8 c' q c' r4 q
}

I'd favor the first option, that is always consider the last
explicit note, rather than considering an implicit, repeated note.

Nicolas