Re: website search box

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: website search box
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:16:48 -0800

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 07:13:16PM -0800, Patrick McCarty wrote:
>> Also, on an unrelated note, the hyperlinks point to the lower-case
>> node names again, which breaks the CSS.
>>
>>   Documentation/web/download.html#download
>
> Hmm.  Could the CSS be changed to use the lower-case target names?
> I think that'll be easier than more messing with the init file.

I don't know.  The CSS rule that is breaking is a hack that is sketchy
at best.  But I couldn't think of another solution.

> ... and, umm, how specifically does it "break" the CSS?  I took a
> quick glance at the file, but couldn't see anything specific to
> upper-case or lower-case urls.  ?

Without the CSS, if you click on a hyperlink pointing to a *long* page
(i.e. having a vertical scrollbar), the new page will jump to the
indicated anchor, which is not at the top of the page.

The CSS rule in question *forces* the <a> element immediately
following div#main to position itself at the top of the page.

  /* FIXME: does not work in IE<=6 */
  #main > a:first-child {
    position: absolute;
    top: -10em;
  }

Looking at the HTML for every page, the upper-case node name is the
"first child", but the lower-case node name is the "second child";
that's why this rule is breaking.

But, like I said, I can't think of another workaround.

BTW, it would be nice if texi2html did not append #blah to the
hyperlinks when it's not necessary.  Do you know if this can be
controlled in the init file?

Thanks,
Patrick