Re: more compiling questions

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: more compiling questions
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:19:54 -0700

On 12/19/09 7:29 PM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1) Is there a difference between...
>    ...`make doc' and `make doc *'?
>    ...`make clean' and `make clean *'?
>    ...etc.

I've never used make doc * -- I have no idea what that means.

> 2) If I'm running `make' or `make doc', can I continue to
>    work on git, changing branches, making commits, etc.?  I
>    assume no, but if someone knows, let me know.

You can't change branches, because that changes the files that make is
working on.

You can make a commit, because a commit doesn't change the files, it just
changes the git database, which make doesn't use.

You can't edit files, because make needs them.

If you really want to do this, you can set up two different local
repositories, and run make in one then do further work on the other.  You
could sync them through a remote repository that you could set up on
repo.or.cz.

HTH,

Carl