Re: Managing my LilyPond addiction

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Managing my LilyPond addiction
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:28:16 +0100

> Since it's the end of term, it's time to look back and reflect. When
> looking back, I see that I have a problem. I seem to be addicted to
> working on LilyPond.

I had a tool called preview-latex supposed to help me doing my thesis.
The proof-of-concept was running in a few days.  It more or less
swallowed my thesis, though I don't spend time on it nowadays (though I
should).

> I hereby announce that starting tomorrow (21 Dec 2009), I'm only going
> to do 3 hours of lilypond work each day. That's still 21 hours a week,
> which is very respectable for a volunteer job.

[...]

> I make no apology for this;

That's the part where your addiction lies: you feel responsible.
Responsible for doing a job that might not get done otherwise, and that
you know benefits the world.  Making a difference.

There are worse addictions considering its overall effects, and modern
life offers a lot of them, but the effect of this "addiction" on you is
what you have to manage all by yourself.  Lilypond can make use of all
the time you see fit to give it.  There is nobody else but yourself that
can tell you "stop".

I wish you the best luck on finding a healthy way.