Re: improving the CG

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:30:29 +0000

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 07:13:32PM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> I feel that it has taken me longer than it should have to
> get familiar with some of the basics of compiling, so this
> text would ideally reduce the confusion time for new
> developers.

Based on all my experience at doc restructuring, I suggest that
you don't do this -- only work at one level at once.  Either focus
on the list of chapters, or focus on restructuring / rewriting one
chapter; trying to do both at once isn't worth the extra hassle.

> One final note about the current proposal:  Chapter 3 `Using
> Git' looks like it'll be quite long this way.  I'm
> considering splitting it into two chapters, but I've not
> made up my mind about it.

The length of chapters doesn't matter, just structure them by
topic.

>  2. Using the `lilycontrib' GUI
>  3. Using Git

I think these should be one chapter.

2. Source code
2.1 Using lilycontrib
2.2 Using git

>         3.1.2 Initializing a repository
>     3.2 Downloading branches
>         3.2.1 LilyPond repository sources          (1.1.6)
>         3.2.2 The `master' branch                  (1.1.3)

umm.  Does this mean that people would need to cut&paste from
3.1.2, then cut&paste from 3.2.2?  ick.

(notwithstanding the previous `ick', as long as we have
lilycontrib, I don't mind the extra complexity here.  I'm not
convinced the extra complexity is _necessary_, but I don't mind it)