Re: improving the CG

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 18:14:22 -0800 (PST)

Carl Sorensen wrote:
> Have you considered whether "Using Git" should be an
> appendix?  To the extent that it's teaching about git,
> rather than about LilyPond, it might belong in an
> appendix.
>
> Maybe there should be a chapter called something like
> "Contributing patches" that mentions all the possible ways
> of contributing patches, and then appendices describing
> various ways (diff, git, lilycontrib.tcl).

Okay, I tried revising the structure to accommodate some
suggestions, but I can't find a way to move the Git stuff to
an appendix without creating awkward continuity issues.  For
example...

These nodes could reasonably be moved to an appendix:
  Starting with Git
  Basic procedures
  Advanced procedures
    Git log
    Applying remote patches

But these LP-sepcific nodes would have to stay in chapters:
  Downloading branches
  Advanced procedures
    Working with remote branches (current 1.4.3)
    Pushing to git.sv.gnu.org

I imagine that this would lead to an annoying web of
cross-references, since someone new to Git who starts
reading the chapter `Using Git' would need to go to the
appendix for `Starting with Git', then back to the chapter
for `Downloading branches', then back to the appendix for
`Basic procedures', etc.

Because of this, I'd rather keep all the Git stuff together
in the same chapter (even if some of it isn't LP-specific).
So, how important is a Git appendix to you guys?  If it's
important, do you have any suggestions for resolving the
goose-chase problem?

Furthermore, I prefer the hierarchy of nodes when `Using
Git' is in its own chapter, ie. I don't want to squeeze all
of this into a single @unnumberedsubsubsec:

  Working with branches
  * Creating and removing branches
  * Listing branches
  * Checking out branches
  * Merging branches

Attached is the latest version of the index, hopefully
you'll see what I mean.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
- Mark