Re: Autobeaming

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Autobeaming
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 03:23:46 +0100

Le lundi 28 décembre 2009 à 19:11 -0700, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
> I've been continuing to work on the logical structure of autobeaming rules,
> because the rules aren't right yet.  There are still some rules that don't
> make sense, and in trying to make things make sense, I've run into some
> philosophical issues.
>
> I'm starting to believe that there should be a context property
> timeSignatureSettings that contains the settings that should go with a time
> signature.  These settings should include beatLength, measureGrouping, and
> beaming rules (right now, just end rules, but eventually subdivide and
> potentially begin).

[snip]

> Does this seem like a feasible architecture?

I don't know if it's feasible, but I think that from a conceptual point
of view mapping each time signature to autobeaming rules settings makes
much sense, and may make it easier to design later elegant and concise
syntax and good default settings for complex compound time signatures.

Best,
John