Re: Autobeaming

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Autobeaming
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:03:55 +0100

On 30 Dec 2009, at 12:27, David Kastrup wrote:

Hans Aberg <address@hidden> writes:

Take tuplets. If there are quintuplets, then it should be a 5' unless
specified as typically 2'+3' or 3'+2'.

For sextuplets, there is a convention that the should be in 3, so
there is an implicit rule 3'+3' - there should be no subbeaming of the
3'. But a compose might want to change that.

I am not sure I understand that. Why use sextuplets when you could just
use triplets as 3'+3'?  I should think that sextuplets make most sense
when you need 2'+2'+2' as a rhythmic pattern.

I have had very little exposure to them, actually, that's just my
mathematical gut feeling.

It's just a CPP convention, mentioned in Hindemith, "Elementary training", p. 116 f.

  Hans