Re: Does \hspace need a vertical extent?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Does \hspace need a vertical extent?
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 04:06:22 +0000 (UTC)

Neil Puttock <n.puttock <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/8/10 Thomas Morgan <tlm <at> ziiuu.com>:
>
> > I'm not aware of this (though I don't doubt that you're right).
> > Could you give me an example?
>
> See the attached image, which shows the change in output for the
> regression test `chord-names-languages.ly'.
>
> It's not a particularly serious issue, but there are likely to be
> other cases (uncovered by the regression tests) where the current
> behaviour of \hspace is taken into consideration.

This patch has languished for a while because we thought it might
mess up the current code.

It looks to me like the only issue is that the vertical extent of the
hspace pushed the staff down to avoid a non-existent collision.

I think we should go ahead and push this patch (but if we need
to wait for the new chord name code, I guess we can do so)

Thanks,

Carl