Re: Patch: issue #659

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Patch: issue #659
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:30:39 +0100

Alexander Kobel schrieb:
[...]
I just noticed that the 'extra-offset won't influence the spacing of the notes before the bar line. The better property to tweak should be the right-edge extra space, but this does not work if the line ends prematurely. (See the attached example.) Still, like Trevor I'm not sure why modifying the X-extent does not work - this should be the favourite option, theoretically equivalent to another glyph without positive width, right?
Yes, I think this would be the best approach, but I don't know why this doesn't work, either.

Another idea: Is it possible to have a double bar line at the end of a line, and the segno bar line at the beginning of the next? What about ".S" doing this, as opposed to "S", or have an additional "||S" and "S||"?

I must admit that I don't have lots of references for this symbol and its use. If this is a sensible default, there is no problem in defining ".S" just doing what you proposed. Can you do some investigations? As you posted the examples in the tracker, I think you are the most important source of informations here ;-)

I don't really know if I saw the "||-before-break, S-after-break" combination, but I think it makes sense to offer it since coda parts are often seperated by double bar lines when the "default" segno sign is above them. I'll see what I can find in real examples. I don't think I have anything more at my place, though, so I'll have to look through the repertoire of my choir. (Again, I can't remember to have it seen in any non-Bosworth & Co. scores...) I'll give you feedback ASAP.
Did you find anything? If not, tell me what you want to have as standard, and I will adapt my code. I doesn't seem that there is an overwhelming interest in the varsegno - which doesn't bother me, because *I* like the sign and will use it regularly as soon as it is released. So we both, being called the
"varsegno group" should be able to decide what we want ;-)

Greetings

Marc