Re: Documentation NR 1.6.3 Instrument Names

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Documentation NR 1.6.3 Instrument Names
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:33:40 +0000

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 09:25:01PM +0000, Werner wrote:
> In the NR of version "2.11.57" I found:

Why are you look at that version?  It's an UNSTABLE DEVELOPMENT
version, which normal people should not be using.

> Instrument names may be changed in the middle of a piece:
>      \set Staff.instrumentName = "First"
> %     \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "one"
>      c1 c c c \break
>      c1 c c c \break
>      \set Staff.instrumentName = "Second"
> %     \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "two"
>      c1 c c c \break
>      c1 c c c \break

I sincerely doubt that the docs showed this example with
commented-out lines.  If it did, this was a temporary issue and
would have been removed in 2.11.58.

You should read the 2.12 docs.

> But this doesn't take effekt for me.
> The new instrumentname doesn't appear at all.
> (Only the shortname, if given, that means without the %, see above)

That's exactly how instrumentName and shortInstrumentName work.
Please re-read the very first paragraph of that subsection.

> Also tested in 2.13.11.

It works in 2.13.12, as can be seen in the docs.  I doubt that
2.13.11 was any different.