Re: more clef changes

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: more clef changes
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:41:43 +0000

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Patrick Schmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> I moved the tab clef to fretted-strings and the percussion clef to percussion
> for the following reasons:
>
> 1) (in a strict sense) they don't display pitches (1.1.3 Displaying pitches)

That's a nice argument, but it doesn't seem to be true:

\relative c' {
  \clef percussion
  c2 d e f
  \clef tab
  c2 d e f
}

I can see different pitches.  I'll grant that the TAB is fairly
useless like this... I suppose a contemporary composer might want to
use it and put some different text there, but they might as well use
an alto clef and override the clef glyph.

> 3) They are special purpose clefs. They don't make sense (to me) in a normal
> staff.

A composer might want to indicate that a violinist should play wood
blocks during a symphony?  Some pieces have the strings doubling
percussive instruments like that.

> 4) the examples in the clef section were a bit confusing as pitch 'c' is
> displayed on the middle line of the staff when these two clefs are used.

Isn't that exactly what's supposed to happen?  At least for
percussion; I don't know about tab.

I've moved percussion back into Clef.  I don't mind keeping TAB separate.