Lilypond as a LGPL library?

From: Mathias Kozlowski
Subject: Lilypond as a LGPL library?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 15:53:49 +0100

Hi everybody, I'm new to Lilypond's world.
I'm really impressed by the possibilities and the rendering quality of your compiler.

I'm currently starting a new project, some sort of sequencer. I'd like to have in it a score editor with a graphical interface. Lilypond is a perfect candidate for providing the engine of this score editor. But:
- it will be a commercial program (not under GNU GPL)
- for performance reasons, I'd like to transform Lilypond into a library with a custom output-*.scm file rendering directly into my GUI.

Concerning GNU GPL licensing, my understanding is that I could embed the compiler in a commercial solution because of separation of executables (like some commercial IDEs around GNU GCC). Since I need to transform Lilypond into a library, my commercial requirement breaks the GNU GPL license.

In a post of Erik Sandberg in this mailing list (New attempt on tuplets/percent repeats, Mon, 15 May 2006), I found:

The main change I'm thinking of, is to LGPL parts of lily (separate a
lib around Context and Dispatcher), so non-free programs can use the
music stream interface in a lilypond-compatible way. I doubt anyone is
interested, but it may be a bad thing to prohibit it.

Actually, I'm VERY interested in such a solution, so any news about it?

Thx, Mat