Re: string information handling inconsistent?

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: string information handling inconsistent?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:34:44 +0100

Carl Sorensen schrieb:
[...]

Well, I'm pretty sure I understand you.  I think perhaps you misunderstood
my reply.  I'm not saying that the samples you made were wrong; they were in
fact correct if we're willing to to accept string-number events following a
chord.
I was not sure about this, thanks for clarification.
And if we're going to accept string number events after a chord, then we
have to make up some means of transferring them from string-number events to
articulations in order to maintain the connection between note and string
number, it seems to me.

Constructs like < c e g > \5 \4 \3 are somewhat strange, but they work,
as it seems.

Yes, they do.  But I'm arguing that they shouldn't.
[...]
I am not sure whether to be that restrictive,

Do you have a good reason why not to be that restrictive?  Can you think of
a reason why we would want to write

<c e g>4 \3 \2 \1

instead of

<c\3 e\2 g\1>4

?  I can't think of such a reason.  In my mind, the string number should
*always* be associated directly with the note to which it applies.  And that
association is lost in the first example.
You are right - <c e g>4 \3 \2 \1 doesn't make sense.
[...]
I think that if we move to the plan I propose, the code will virtually
vanish.

But the principle is right -- if we have some functionality that is to be
used in multiple engravers, it should be stored in a common file, and
headers should be provided in an include file.
Sounds great!

Greetings,

Marc